Friday, November 5, 2010

At least I don't have syphilis.

So I went for my second prenatal appointment today and was all excited because the receptionist told me last time that I was scheduled for another ultrasound this time. Alas, it was not so. No ultrasound. No baby heartbeat, either. All I got were my blood test results (negative on everything bad, awesome on everything good), my blood pressure reading (104/62 - good, apparently), and a date with the speculum. Now I smell like nasty hospital lube.

Oh, and they pushed my due date back to June 1, based on the date of my last period. My next appointment is December 3, at the ungodly hour of 9:30 in the morning. I don't think I'm supposed to have an ultrasound then either. Sad face.

On the up side, I contacted my insurance company about first trimester screening, where they measure the baby's neck folds (nice mental image) to see what the chance of chromosomal issues is. Apparently it costs about $3000, but my insurance company will cover all of it, so I'm going to make an appointment for that on Monday. I'm not really worried about any defects, but it will at least make sure I get another ultrasound before the 20-week gender ultrasound. Take that, evil midwives.* Your dastardly plan to stop me from peeking at Buckethead has been foiled!

*I kid - they are all very nice. Still foiled, though.

2 comments:

Oma said...

Yeeaah! I'm glad you're checking with your insurance company and they'll cover the cost. That was one of my worries for you two. Well-the due date at least gives you a few more days to get your long list accomplished-first babies usually like to hang out in their nice warm, comfy woom.(combo word intentional!)

Leah said...

Yeah, I really don't want to have to pay for anything. :P I'm actually really happy with my insurance right now. I've had two office visits, a ton of bloodwork, and an ultrasound, and I've had to pay only one $10 copay. So, good deal.

As far as the due date goes... Mom went way past her due date with all three of us, and I hear that first-timers usually go late, so I'm figuring we can probably expect Buckethead sometime around next Christmas.