Saturday, June 4, 2011

First trip to the pediatrician.

I did eventually figure out the entire pediatrician thing, so Jim had his very first appointment yesterday. It was also the first time I've taken him out of the house by myself, and I am delighted to report that it went fairly smoothly. I came to realize that one of the joys of breastfeeding is the lack of stuff to carry around. I just threw a couple spare diapers and a pack of wipes in my purse and we were good to go. Hurray for permanent internal food storage!


Having a bit of tummy time on the couch, with me standing by to prevent nosedives. No, this has no relevance whatsoever to the topic at hand, but how can I not post random pictures when there are so many cute ones?

It took a bit longer than expected to get out of the house, due to James being the hungriest baby in the world and requiring hours of feeding every morning, but we made it to the appointment on time. Trying to hold a baby and fill out paperwork at the same time was rather a trial (what kind of pediatrician doesn't have anywhere to set a baby in the waiting room? Bastards, all of them.), especially since he got the munchies half-way through and started doing his adorable baby-bird thing (mouth wide open, head bobbing back and forth, eyes staring hopefully), but we got through it and the receptionist was nice enough to take us straight back to an empty exam room so I could feed him. Have I mentioned how damned convenient breastfeeding is?


His eyes are the darkest blue you can imagine. We're pretty sure they'll eventually turn brown, since they're so dark.

After that Jim got weighed and measured. He's up about two ounces, to 7 pounds and 1/2 ounce, but his height/length is the same. He pooped on the scale, so I got to practice my speed-changing skills.


Poor fellow isn't capable of sleeping with his mouth closed.

Apparently gaining weight at the six-day appointment is abnormal. The conversation with the doctor was as follows:

Dr. S: So, he weighs 7lb .5oz. Do you remember how much he weighed at birth?
Leah: 6lb 14oz.
Dr. S: Really? You're formula-feeding, then?
Jim: *grimace*
Leah: No, breastfeeding.
Dr. S: REALLY? This isn't your first time breastfeeding, I take it?
Jim: *poopface*
Leah: No, first time.
Dr. S: REALLY? That's extraordinary!
Jim: *bares gums triumphantly*

So apparently the constant feeding isn't all in vain. I'm unreasonably pleased with myself.


One of his many poop faces. Poop noise, however, is always the same: *blert* Sounds like a half-empty ketchup bottle.

Everything else seemed to be perfectly normal. We're going back on Friday for another weight check, and then we won't be returning until he's two months old and up for being jabbed with needles.


Needles, you say?

5 comments:

Ma said...

*Ma sighs* He is the most adorable grandson ever, aside from your brother Charlie, of course.

Tarren said...

Leah, I am so happy and yet envious of you that you are having an easy time breastfeeding. I wish I was able to have that chance. I didn't get any milk in at all. Keep up the good work. Hope you keep breastfeeding longer than what most people do. I was even going to breastfeed for up to two years. My husband has a wonderful British documentary that convinced me of this. Congrats again on Jim and Keep going with the breastfeeding!

Oma said...

OMG and I never use that, he is so freaking adorable I can hardly stand it! Noah gained weight quickly and was in the top percentiles for the first six months and then he slowed down. Jimmy definitely has Daddy's appetite. It is so much easier breastfeeding isn't it? I loved that too, no bulky bags or trying to keep things cold/hot just a change of clothes and diapers. I'm glad you're having a good experience thus far in motherhood. Enjoy, it only gets better.

TeamOSM said...

I'm so glad breastfeeding is going well! Also, you should look into getting a carrier. I love my Ergo (so much I have two...but only because I "lost" mine in the move only to find it in Oliver's room in the dresser where I keep the wipes, and only after I already replaced it. Oops!). It's pricey but you can get one used on Craigslist or sometimes babysteals.com or mamabargains.com has them for about half price! I paid $110 for my first, but only $55 ($70 with shipping) for the second.

Maureen Payne said...

The fourth picture up from the bottom, were you are showing his baby blues eyes. That expression on Jims face is a Leah expression lol, he is definitely your kid for sure. Though he will probably bop back and forth between looking like you and Noah from time to time. Enjoying my 11 year old newphew over the years I observed this same such thing, though he is a mix of my sister and her husband.
Such a handsome boy you both should be proud. Do you have messy leaking problems with breastfeeding alot? Other than his midstream feeding antics of course.
My mom did relay the cow feeling but she had out of control leaking and was almost impossible to stop her milk production. They tied cloth diapers tightly around like a corset on her boobs and it took several months for her milk to dry up. I have a feeling she was doing something wrong, though I can't be sure.
Glad to hear that you don't have to tote alot of baby things around since you are not bottle feeding. That is comforting to know. Wishing you lots of sleep and happy baby moments soak them in.